Back in 2014 I got my Sk450. It came in a kit from hobbyking. ARF. With that purchase I ordered the deadcat frame, and a servo gimbal for an action camera and a couple batteries. I bought a used go pro on ebay and mounted it to the top. I didn’t know how to go about controlling the gimbal at first. over the past two years I have tweaked the settings. Added and upgraded, and now I have a really solid flying machine.
When I finally made the dead cat conversion, all of a sudden I was only getting 3 minute flights. i was used to 6-10 minutes. I didn’t know if my motors were wearing out or if something electrical was wrong. the first thing I did was order some large carbon fiber blades on amazon. this solved my problems with lift and flight time. I added a low battery alarm after one flight where I flew till I was out of battery and broke some stuff.
My first fpv flight was around my back yard on a snowy afternoon. The flight was a success but landing in the snow fried my kk2 board and my speed controllers. Parking me for a while, till parts could be ordered.
After this flight I looked into flashing the kk2 board, setting up the gimbal and extending the landing legs so that the gimbal wouldn’t touch the ground. Also when I added the gimbal to the copter I could no longer use the gopro for the fpv feed so I got a on board security camera. one advantage of a camera like this is it does very well in low lighting.
I have been flying when I can, which unfortunately is not as often as I would like. The sk450 dead cat is a great transition from toys to the real deal.
By shopping with these links you help support my content creation.
Step 1 – Printing
the parts were printed in orange and light blue PLA.
Step 2 – Hardware
the servos were old servos that were gathering dust in my fathers basement.
Step 3 – Mounting/Assembly
i did everything i could to avoid screws, most everything was put together using filament rivets
the brain – deciding how to run and control this rover has taken a decent amount of planning. i started with an arduino nano, but when it came time to control it i struggled to find a ideal/cheap configuration. i came to the realization that a raspberry pi would be a better approach.
Programming – as i am not really a programmer it has been difficult to get things working. i had a basic loop running on the arduino originally but for now once i switched to the pi he has been dead.
I have been working on getting pwm working with the raspberry pi here is my progress as of Febuary 4th 2016
I will continue to update on my progress as things progress.